CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Gratitude A-Z

When I can’t fall asleep at night, I go through the alphabet for the things in my life I am grateful for. Lately I’ve been having a really hard time falling asleep. I think it is the stress of the adoption but who knows what else is on my subconscious. Anyway, I read about this gratitude thing on a meditation website and I vowed to try it. You need to think of things that you are thankful for starting with the letter A. It is definitely more interesting than counting sheep!
The first time I did it, which was just over a week ago, I was horrified that so many things on my list were food. I am a total foodie so I'm sure you are not surprised! So, for the past few nights when I’m lying there and can’t fall asleep, I tried doing the list without any food on the list. Here is what I thought of last night:

A-Adoption
B-Books
C-Courtney & Caroline (my nieces)
D-Dogs
E-Empathy- I am an empathetic person and believe not everyone possesses empathy
F-Fortitude-God knows this has gotten me through many challenges
G-Gimpy Girlfriends- Where would I be without my support system? Cyndi- I love ya!
H-Hingham & Health- I’m grateful to have grown up in such an amazing town. Thanks mom! I’m thankful for everyday on this beautiful earth. When you’ve faced death in the face two times like I have, you really appreciate life and good health.
I-Independence. It took me two years to gain it and I treasure it. J-Job. Although I don’t love my job. I still have one and it pays my bills and offers me financial freedom. I also work with a great group pf people.
K-Kyle- I am so blessed to have such a wonderful man as my husband
L-Love. I am blessed with so much of this!
M-Money& Mothers- I don’t have a lot of $ but enough to live a decent life and it is certainly a comfort to be somewhat financially stable. You’ll know how much I love my mother!
N-Nephews. Boy do I love all five of my nephews! They are all so unique and special in there own way!
O-Openness. I don’t like secrets!
P-Perseverance-without it who knows where I’d be.
Q-Quiet. I love my quiet time.
R-Rosie. Best dog ever!
S-Slide board. Without this adaptive equipment I would not be able to be as independent as I am.
T-Tami-I wish we lived closed
U-Umbrellas
V-Vans & Vietnam. It took me over a decade to cave in and get one but boy was it worth it. I love my van. I don’t miss taking my wheelchair apart, especially in the rain & snow.
W-Wheelchairs. What an amazing invention. Who knows if I’d still be here if they were never invented? Vietnam because it is where we hope our child will be from
X-Xerox machines- ok, this one is really lame. I struggle with this letter the most. I do appreciate Xerox machines though. They make my job a lot easier!
Y-Yellow Labs-Kyle said this does not count. What do you’ll think?
Z-Zest-I am thankful for the people in my life that have a zest for life, including my own zest for life.

I did it… no foods mentioned.
I challenge all of you to do the same. It really gets you thinking and makes you think of what is really important in life.

If anyone has any tips on falling asleep at night, I’d love to hear them. As soon as the lights go off, my mind starts to wonder. Ugh!

Hugs to you all.

5 comments:

Tami said...

Yay! I made the list! Though I do wonder what food item I replaced...tacos? Tomatoes? Tiramisu?

Now I'm hungry...

I like the new page. I may have to revamp mine (so boring!)

Anonymous said...

Tami gets her own letter? That's not fair. Anyway, hugs to you for giving me hugs the last couple of weeks. :)

Love the new blog. I'm off to write in mine!

Adalyn's World Views said...

Great idea! I'm going to try it soon. I don't know if I'd stay awake past c though.

A Day in the Life of Cait & Kyle said...

Yeah.... Comments make us soooo happy!!
Tami-I would have to say that if I had to pick a food to replace you I would say Thai. We LOVE Thai food and could eat it multiple times a week!
Re: your blog, check out pyzam.com for really awesome templates. It took me forever to figure out how to do the hyperlinks ( I think that is what they are called) because you have to copy codes and stuff. Anyway, I still have more work to do on the blog but it is getting there.

Kerri- sorry I didn't think of you for K. I love your new blog backgropund but I was hoping for a new post. Get writing girl!!!!

Katie- Thanks for reading our blog. I've been reading yours weekly and love seeing pics of the kids. Burke is getting so big! I'm jealous that you have flowers in your yard already!!!!Spring is here but it still feels like winter.
Hugs to you all.
C

Anonymous said...

Um, I wrote one. just so ya know.