CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Didn't Get the Job

Well, I finally mustered up the courage to call the Director and ask where they were in their decision process. She said "you didn't get my email?" She then proceeded to tell me that they hired someone else. I am more stunned than I thought I would be. Maybe I misread some signs but I really thought I was going to get it :(

So below is what her email said:



"Hi Caitlin,

It was good to meet you last week. We are going to be hiring another individual for the vacant position. Thank you for your interest. Good luck to you."



My response was as follows:

"Hi ___________,

Would you mind giving me some feedback as to what the deciding factor was in your decision? I'm just curious as I thought our interview went very well and I know I was very qualified for the position. I also feel that my experience as a person with a disability would have been a huge asset to the Ross Center. Thanks for your time and consideration. "

Ok, I guess that is what I get for not proofreading things more than once. I should of said "I am very qualified.. not I was." Duh.

Anyway, do you all think I was out of line for responding back to her. Part of me says what the hell!! I want to know what the other person has that I don't. How much do you want to make a bet that the person is not disabled?? It pisses me off to have these centers run by non-disabled people. Wouldn't you think that would want someone that really gets what it is like to live everyday with a disability. Ok, I'm just upset.


P.S. Rosie has some parasite and had an accident at work. I was sooooooooooo mortified.



P.S.S.

The more I think about this the more upset I get. Do you all know that it is ILLEGAL (ADA) to ask a person with a disability what their disability is during the interview? Well, the Director not only asked me what my disability was but how I became disabled. When I said "car accident" she then wanted to know when. Isn't that all irrelevant? The fact that I have a disability would of been a HUGE plus to them. However, my merits alone regardless of the disability qualified me for the job. Anyway. I guess I ignored the fact that she blatantly disobeyed the law b/c I really wanted the job,, so I just suppressed it. Since I didn't get the job I'm annoyed. I have to remember that "THINGS HAPPEN FOR A REASON."

Below is what I found online regarding the "disability issue" for interviews.

What can’t an employer ask during a job interview?

Although the ADA doesn’t prevent employers from seeking the information they need to evaluate a job candidate, it does restrict the scope and purpose of their questioning. Before the passage of the ADA, it was common for employers to ask job applicants about their medical or physical conditions. Now, with the enactment of the ADA, an employer cannot ask disability-related questions unless a job offer has been made. Prior to a job offer, employers cannot ask questions that are likely to elicit information about a disability or ask questions that are closely related to a disability.
For instance, an employer cannot ask if you are blind or ask questions about the level of any partial vision you might have. This type of information was often used to categorically exclude applicants who were blind before their ability to perform the job was even considered. These questions are now prohibited to ensure that persons with disabilities are given an equal opportunity to apply for a job without regard to their disability.
The law categorically prohibits “fishing” for information about a candidate’s physical or mental condition on application forms or during interviews or informal meetings. An employer may inquire only about a person’s ability to perform specific job-related functions.
Example: If you’re interviewing for a maintenance position, an employer can’t ask, “How did you lose your arm?” He or she may ask you to explain or demonstrate how you would use certain tools in that job.

The ADA prohibits employers from asking the following types of questions:

Have you ever been treated for the following listed conditions or diseases?
Has anyone in your family ever had any of the following listed illnesses?
Have you ever been hospitalized? For what? List any conditions or illnesses for which you’ve been treated in the past three years.
Have you ever been treated for a mental disorder?
Are you taking any medication?
Have you ever been treated for drug addiction or alcoholism?
Do you have any major physical disabilities?
If so, how did your disability come about? What is the prognosis for recovery?
Have you ever filed for worker’s compensation benefits?
How many times were you absent from your previous job because of illness?
Do you have any disabilities that would affect your performance in the position for which you are applying?










5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Caitlin. They SO suck. Can I call you at the end of the week or the weekend? I really want to talk to you in person and find out the scoop, I've sooooooooooo been there.
((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))) It's their loss for now, and you can always try again if something else opens up.

I wouldn't have emailed her back, partially because they can't legally tell you much.

But that's just me.

Hugs again!

Love ya!

A Day in the Life of Cait & Kyle said...

Hey All,

Ya, Kerri give me a call this weekend. I have to go away for work tomorrow to VT and won't be back until Friday night.

I filled my sorrow with food last night by going to Chili's with Kyle and eating a yummy cheeseburger and fries. It was delicious!

So, I got a response from the Director that said "We are not able to give feedback to applicants. We have selected a candidate who we believe is the most qualified for the position. "
UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you didn't get the job Cait. Since it is illegal to ask about your disability, I probably would have gotten much snarkier than you did in your email and replied with something along the lines of: "I thought the interview was going really well, especially since you were asking about my disability and legally, you're only supposed to do that after you offer me the job. Since we were talking about it, you were implying that I was one of the top candidates."
Hugs darlin.

Maureen "Mo" Reilly said...

Cait

So sorry honey! We have been going through the job interview hassles for Jan...and he was constantly the last two finalists and wouldn't get it...we believe he wasn't hired in part due to age discrimination. Yet, this past week he was hired as of Nov 28th. I have to believe there is a similar and better position out there for you. I realize you are terribly disappointed - and we are all disappointed for you. I will give you a call soon so we can catch up.

Love
mo

Tami said...

I'm so sorry you didn't get it Cait. And I CAN'T BELIEVE she asked about the disability! You could file a formal complaint, but it wouldn't really accomplish anything. Sucks!!